Zoster Vaccine Group Evaluation and Forecasting Rules
General Rules for Zoster
General rules are not series-specific; general rules apply to the entire vaccine group.
Live Vaccine Interval Rule
- The Live Vaccine Interval rule (also referred to as the Live Virus rule) applies to all Zoster vaccines. For rule details, see the Live Vaccine Interval rule on the General ICE Rules page.
Select Adjuvant Product Interval
Rules for Recommending at the CVX Code vs. Vaccine Group Level
Recommended Interval After Adult Varicella (CVX 21) Doses
- If patient is administered adult varicella (CVX 21) doses, the minimum interval and recommended interval between the adult varicella (CVX 21) doses to Zoster is 8 weeks.
- Varicella (CVX 21) at 50 years, 1 month.
- Varicella (CVX 21) at 50 years, 3 months.
- Recommend Zoster (CVX 187) at Varicella Dose 2 + recommended interval (8 weeks)
|121||Zoster vaccine, live|
|188||Zoster vaccine, unspecified|
CVX Code Specific Rules
- If a patient is administered CVX 187 < 52 days after a previously administered CVX 121 or CVX 188, evaluate the shot as Invalid/Below Minimum Interval.
- If a patient is administered CVX 121 or CVX 188, evaluate the shot as Accepted/ VACCINE_NOT_PART_OF_THIS_SERIES. (new reason code)
- Absolute minimum interval between CVX 121 or CVX 188 to CVX 187 is 52 days.
- Recommended interval between CVX 121 or CVX 188 to CVX 187 is 56 days.
Immunization Series and Selection Rules
Immunization Series: Zoster Series
The Zoster series is complete after 2 doses.
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Routine Ages
|Latest Recommended Age (less than)||Valid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series||Invalid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series|
|2||Zoster||50 years||50 years||50 years||N/A||187||N/A|
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Recommended Intervals
Absolute Minimum Interval
Minimum Recommended Interval
|Latest Recommended Interval (less than)|
Dose 1 to 2
|7 months + 4 weeks|
Series Special Rules
- There are no special rules for this series.
- Zoster vaccine (CVX 121) follows the Live Vaccine rule for minimum and recommended interval.
- 28 day minimum interval
- 28 day recommended interval