Varicella Vaccine Group Evaluation and Forecasting Rules
General Rules for Varicella
General rules are not series-specific; general rules apply to the entire vaccine group.
Rules Based on Patient's Age
- For persons born prior to 1/1/1980, if the series is NOT complete, Recommendation is Conditional and the reason code is HIGH_RISK.
Proof of Immunity Rules
- If a patient has immunity (reported as having a positive titer or serology) vaccine is not recommended.
- Any shot administered prior to the date of immunity is evaluated as Valid or Invalid, based on minimum age and minimum interval rules.
- Any shot administered on or after the date of immunity is evaluated as Accepted with a reason code of PROOF_OF_IMMUNITY; Recommendation is Not Recommended and the reason code is PROOF_OF_IMMUNITY.
Documented Disease Rules
- If a patient has documented history of varicella (clinician verified) vaccine is not recommended.
- Any shot administered prior to the disease history date is evaluated as Valid or Invalid, based on minimum age and minimum interval rules.
- Any shot administered on or after the disease history date is evaluated as Accepted with a reason code of DISEASE_DOCUMENTED; Recommendation is Not Recommended and the reason code is DISEASE_DOCUMENTED.
Live Vaccine Interval Rule
- The Live Vaccine Interval rule (also referred to as the Live Virus rule) applies to all varicella vaccines. For rule details, see the Live Vaccine Interval rule on the General ICE Rules page.
Combination Vaccines that Include Varicella
Immunization Series and Selection Rules
Series Selection Rules
- There is only one series for this vaccine group.
Immunization Series: Varicella Series
The Varicella series is complete after 2 doses.
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Routine Ages
|Latest Recommended Age (less than)||Valid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series||Invalid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series|
1 year - 4 days
|16 months + 4 weeks||21, 94||N/A|
|7 years + 4 weeks||21, 94||N/A|
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Recommended Intervals
Absolute Minimum Interval
Minimum Recommended Interval2
|Latest Recommended Interval (less than)|
Dose 1 to 2
- 12 weeks if < 13 years of age
- 4 weeks if >= 13 years of age
- 84 days (12 weeks) if < 13 years of age
- 28 days (4 weeks) if >= 13 years of age
|6 years + 4 weeks|
Series Special Rules
- Recommended interval between dose 1 and dose 2 is dependent upon the age of the patient at dose 1 (< or >= 13 years)
- If the shot for target dose 1 is invalid, the recommended interval between the invalid shot and dose 1 is 28 days.
- The minimum interval between dose 1 and dose 2 (28 days)1 differs from the CDC CDSi minimum interval of 24 days for patients that receive their dose 2 of varicella at > = 13 years of age. In order to be consistent with the 28-day varicella minimum interval and the 28-day Live Vaccine minimum interval, the ICE Workgroup decided not to apply the 4-day grace period to patients receiving varicella at > = 13 years of age and for live vaccines from the same vaccine group.
- This recommended interval2 differs from the CDC CDSi recommended interval of 3 years. While the recommended intervals differ, in practice ICE and CDC CDSi will come up with the same recommended due date. CDC CDSi only uses the recommended interval when the recommended age is not provided. See the CDC CDSi Logic Specification for details on how they calculate their recommended due date.