MMR Vaccine Group Evaluation and Forecasting Rules
General Rules for MMR
General rules are not series-specific; general rules apply to the entire vaccine group.
Proof of Immunity Rules
- If a patient has immunity (reported as having a positive titer or serology) for all three components (measles, mumps, rubella), vaccine is not recommended.
- Any shot administered prior to the date of immunity is evaluated as Valid or Invalid, based on minimum age and minimum interval rules.
- Any shot administered on or after the date of immunity is evaluated as Accepted with a reason code of PROOF_OF_IMMUNITY; Recommendation is Not Recommended and the reason code is PROOF_OF_IMMUNITY.
Live Vaccine Interval Rule
- The Live Vaccine Interval rule (also referred to as the Live Virus rule) applies to all MMR vaccines. For rule details, see the Live Vaccine Interval rule on the General ICE Rules page.
Series Completion Special Rule
- Once a patient completes the MMR series the Recommendation is Not Recommended and the reason code is COMPLETE_HIGH_RISK. (MMR should never have a recommendation of Not Recommended/Complete.)
CVX Code Specific Rules
If components (measles, mumps, rubella, measles/rubella, mumps/rubella) are reported and are valid, and if there is at least one dose of each antigen (measles, mumps, and rubella), then this will be considered equal to a single dose of MMR. The MMR series is complete after 2 doses.
Combination Vaccines that Include MMR
Immunization Series and Selection Rules
Series Selection Rules
- There is only one series for this vaccine group.
Immunization Series: MMR Series
The MMR series is complete after 2 doses.
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Routine Ages
Latest Recommended Age
|Valid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series||Invalid CVX Code(s) per Dose for this Series|
1 year - 4 days
|16 months + 4 weeks||03, 05, 06, 07, 04, 38, 94||N/A|
|7 years + 4 weeks||03, 05, 06, 07, 04, 38, 94||N/A|
Vaccine Dose Parameters - Minimum and Recommended Intervals
Absolute Minimum Interval
Minimum Recommended Interval
Latest Recommended Interval
Dose 1 to 2
28 days 1
28 days (4 weeks)
|6 years + 4 weeks|
Series Special Rules
DOB prior to 1/1/1957
- For persons born prior to 01/01/1957, if the series is NOT complete, then the Recommendation is Conditional and the reason code is HIGH_RISK.
Series Complete with 1 Dose
- If the recommended due date for Target Dose 2 is >= 19 years old, then that dose is not required; the series is complete with 1 dose.
- The minimum interval between dose 1 and dose 2 (28 days)1 differs from the CDC CDSi minimum interval of 24 days. In order to be consistent with the 28-day varicella minimum interval and the Live Vaccine minimum interval, the ICE Workgroup decided not to apply the 4-day grace period.